3 of the Most Common Types of Residential Drainage Systems

Lake Oconee Boomers

Updated on:

3 of the Most Common Types of Residential Drainage Systems

Do you find yourself needing to install a drainage system? Well, depending on your needs, there are a few options available to solve your problem. Not all systems are right for every job, but there are a few common types of residential drainage systems that will cover most bases.

Swale Drains

Typically seen on the sides of roadways, swale drains are shallow ditches that are lined with turf, and they can also be installed around residential yards. They are used to slow down and control water run-off outdoors. They also have the added benefit of preventing water from puddling, which can result in the erosion of surrounding soil. All of this can prevent basements from flooding during rainy seasons or backyards from becoming ruined.

Trench Drains

As the name suggests, a trench drain is a long trench that’s designed to catch water. The trench then channels the water to remove it from one location and dump it in another drainage point. Trenches can extend to great lengths to catch water from a very wide surface area. Whether it surrounds a pool or stretches across a driveway, trench drains have a variety of applications. This variety means that there are important factors to consider when choosing a trench draining system.

French Drains

Not to be confused with trench drains, these types of drains are installed under the surface of your yard. The highest point of the drain slopes down to the lower pipes, transporting excess water run-off to a lower point of dispersal. These are one of the most common types of residential drainage systems to find around the yard, with most of the pipes hidden and able to easily dispose of water into nearby sewer systems or cisterns.

Choose the right drainage system for the job; don’t go around putting trench drains all over the back yard. If you do, you’ll be halfway through the process and remember that you were supposed to use French drains.